Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack
The MLP Pack is an extension pack for Textpattern that allows you to easily build and maintain multi-lingual websites and manage translations.
There is a tri-lingual demonstration site online at http://mlp-demo.netcarving.com which shows off most of the public side features of the pack.
In addition, I have posted a 23 minute flash movie that shows the admin interface of the MLP Pack. You can view the movie here.
For more background to the work you can read this forum thread.
- Each TxP user can choose their own admin language — and switch between admin languages at will.
- Localisation of plugin strings via the admin interface (at last, no editing of source files!)
- Ability to search for, and edit, any TxP language string by name or by content — in any of the languages supported by the site.
- Ability to quickly locate strings with missing renditions in any language.
- Support for ‘snippets’ to simplify page/form editing and writing or for localisation of tag attributes.
- String editor can operate in RTL or LTR mode (JS to toggle between the two.)
- Write tab now allows title/body/excerpt and preview in RTL as well as LTR mode.
- Import/export of your plugin strings or snippets so you can upload to live sites or share with others.
- Export of TxP strings using the TxP language file format for distribution to other/devs.
- Export of the MLP Pack strings in its own file format for you to bundle into your client’s MLP distribution.
- Support for articles as groups of renditions.
- Support for cloning of renditions and their translation into other languages using the existing write tab.
- Email notifications sent to translators when articles are cloned or have their author changed.
- Extra filtering of the list of renditions by language.
- No hijacking of existing fields (sections/categories/custom fields) to store language information, so you are free to use the all existing fields as you need to.
- Full localisation of the following fields…
- Category titles
- Section titles
- Image alt text and captions
- Link descriptions
- File descriptions
- Setup and Cleanup wizards.
- Detection of the language the user wants to view a site in via the url or browser headers.
- URLs re-written so that browser caches know the difference between the renditions of articles in different languages.
- Automatic selection of the correct renditions of snippets in pages and forms.
- Fully functional search/commenting/feeds for each language the site supports.
- Feeds are also adjusted for RTL languages.
- Localised categories, sections, file & link descriptions, image alt text & captions.
- 404 support for finding renditions that are not available in the requested language.
- A tag to list all available renditions of a given article and allow switching between them.
- Tags for accessing language codes and direction information.
- Conditional tag for testing the visitors’ browse languages or the directionality of the languages.
- Marios Buttner for his initial ideas, support, feedback, testing and translation.
- Graeme Porteous for the gbp_l10n plugin, the gbp_admin_library and help in the first few months of development.
- Destry Wion for pledging support early on.
- Team Textpattern for, ergh, Textpattern.